What statement best describes your situation?

"I'm experiencing homelessness or at risk of being homeless"

Do I qualify for public housing?

The Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) has a program named Foster Youth to Independence (FYI) Initiative, a federal housing program aimed at preventing homelessness among young adults (as old as 24) who have spent time in foster care after the age of 16. It provides 36 months of rental assistance “on demand” for youth in private apartments. To learn more about how to apply, check our our "Foster Youth to Independence (FYI) Housing Vouchers" page.

Where can I find housing resources if I'm about to be homeless?

"I'm a student who was recently displaced"

My college or university closed down and I have to vacate my dorm/campus. What should I do?

You should know that the federal government specifically instructed states to take care of you. Read more here.
You might be able to petition your school to remain in your dorm. Contact your housing office today or review the email you received telling you to leave your dorm for details.
If you need to find other housing options:
  • The Student Relief Fund supports students affected by COVID-19-related campus closures. Students who submit a note may gain access to financial assistance, resources, and other solutions.
  • You can apply for assistance from Together We Rise, who can help find, and pay for, housing.
  • You can apply for $200 in cash assistance from MyScholly (opportunity closed).
  • If you were attending a Historically Black College or University (HBCU), you can request financial help from HBCU at Home.

Where can I store my belongings while I look for housing?

You can get up to 30 days of free storage from U-Haul if you are a college student being forced to leave your dorm room.

How can I move into a new housing situation?

These rental car services have reduced the age minimum from 24 to 18 and are waiving additional fees for young renters to help students get home:
  • Enterprise (fees waived until May 31st)
  • Avis (fees waived until June 30th)
You can also check out this guide for getting discounts on moving services.

Where can I get furniture if I moved to a new housing situation?

A Sense of Home provides youth aging out of foster care with donated furniture and home goods.

"I live in a group home or with roommates"

I live with people who have COVID-19. How do I protect myself?

If someone in your home is sick and/or is at high-risk of contracting COVID-19, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued specific guidelines on cleaning and disinfecting your home:

Missing a resource?

Contact us so we can add it.